Camarones con crema chipotle is a traditional Mexican dish that is made up of shrimp that has been slow-cooked in a chipotle sauce, giving the shrimp both a creamy and a very slight spicy flavor.
In Mexico, this dish is known by many different names, including Camarones enchipotlados, Camarones with salsa chipotle, and Camarones al chipotle, to name just a few.
This recipe for Camarones con crema chipotle is not only hearty and creamy but also somewhat spicy with a touch of smokiness.
And the best part is it can be ready in less than 20 minutes! You can serve this dish over rice or pasta, along with a side salad, or you can create some simple tasty tacos if you want a quick meal.
As we said, shrimp is used in this recipe. Shrimp is an ingredient that often puts people off of a recipe because they are notoriously hard to cook and easy to ruin.
Don’t worry though! Even though there are a lot of different methods to prepare shrimp, this recipe for Camarones al chipotle is going to become your go-to very quickly.
Because it’s so simple to make, it’s an excellent option for a speedy meal at either lunch or evening.
Here is everything you need to know about Camarones con crema, including how to make it, how to cook your shrimp to perfection, and where to find the perfect chipotle.
What’s Chipotle And Where Can I Buy It?
Because chipotle is used in so many Mexican dishes if you’re a fan of this kind of cuisine you’re probably already very familiar with this kind of chili pepper.
This chile is the smoke-dried variety of the jalapeno chili pepper, and as well as having a high level of heat, it also has a very robust flavor.
Chipotle can range anywhere from 2,500 to 8,000 Scoville units in terms of its level of heat.
You can purchase it dried, but you can also buy them in a jar of stewed adobo sauce, and that’s the form we are going to be using in today’s recipe. You can find it either way at your local grocery store.
Canned chipotle in adobo sauce is quite easy to find. You can purchase it at Mexican grocery stores, on Amazon, or even in the international section of your regular supermarket.
There are a lot of different brands available to choose from as well, so there should be something to suit everyone’s taste and budget.
How To Prepare Shrimp The Right Way
When using fresh shrimp in your cooking, preparation is the key to making sure that they cook correctly later on.
The most important preparation step that you have to do for shrimp is to clean them properly. Luckily this is pretty easy to do, though it will take you a bit of time.
To make this shrimp dish with chipotle cream sauce, you can use frozen shrimp so long as you let it thaw out before cooking it.
However, you will need to peel and devein the shrimp before using them if you are using fresh shrimp. Here’s how to do this:
1. To begin, give the head a light twist to detach it from the body of the fish.
2. After that, you will need to take off the shell by working your thumb beneath it, close to where the legs are, to free it.
3. Then, remove the tail by giving it a light tug to loosen it. You can make a tasty stock out of the heads and shells if you save them.
4. Laying the shrimp down and running a paring knife down its back will allow you to remove the veins.
Be careful not to cut too deeply; you only need to make a cut that is sufficient to remove the vein with the tip of your knife.
5. Now do this same process for each shrimp, and give each of them a quick rinse after.
How To Make Camarones Con Crema Chipotle
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce – using canned chipotle in adobo sauce is normally used because it gives the sauce a smokey flavor with a hint of heat.
- 8 ounces cream cheese – The sauce benefits from a wonderful flavorful touch and some creaminess.
- 1/2 cup Mexican Crema – Can be substituted with traditional whole cream instead.
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce – You may use one teaspoon of tomato paste instead, which would add flavor and color.
- 1 1/2 lb of shrimp – frozen or fresh
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. If you’re using frozen shrimp, then thaw them out completely before making this recipe. If you’re using fresh shrimp, then prepare and clean them as we described above.
2. Put the cream cheese, cream, tomato sauce, chipotle peppers in adobo, and one cup of water into a blender. Blend the ingredients together until you have a silky smooth sauce. Set aside.
3. Warm the olive oil in a big skillet or non-stick pan. Keep the heat on medium.
4. Add the shrimp, and season them with salt, pepper, and garlic.
5. Cook over medium heat, tossing frequently, for two minutes, or until shrimp are opaque and pink on all sides. It’s fine if there are some fluids left on the pan because it will add a lot of flavor to the sauce.
6. Add the chipotle sauce and give the whole mixture a good mix.
Because the addition of cream and cheese will cause the sauce to become slightly chilled, you will need to immediately bring the temperature up to a simmer and turn the heat up to its highest setting.
7. Reduce the heat to medium and let the mixture continue to simmer for three to four minutes, or until the shrimp are completely cooked through and the sauce has become thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
8. After tasting the dish and making any necessary adjustments to the ingredients (like adding more salt/pepper), remove it from the heat, and your Camarones con crema is ready to serve!
How To Serve Camarones Con Crema
Rice goes wonderfully with the creamy chipotle shrimp that’s made here.
In Mexico, the dish is traditionally served with white rice and, on occasion, also comes accompanied by an Ensalada de codito salad (macaroni salad).
You may use this recipe to prepare some tacos, garnish some crunchy tostadas, or top some sopes.
How To Store And Reheat Camarones Con Crema
If you have any leftovers these can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days when placed in a glass container with a secure lid.
Because the sauce will become excessively watery if it’s frozen and then thawed, we don’t recommend freezing it.
To reheat the Camarones con crema chipotle, place the dish in a skillet and add a splash of water. To get it nice and toasty, stir while heating it over medium heat.
Thanks to this very simple-to-follow recipe, you can now make Camarones con crema in the comfort of your own home! Give this recipe a try if you’re craving some authentic Mexican flavors for dinner.